Coronavirus live updates: US death toll rises to 9, North Carolina confirms states first case

This is a live blog. Please check back for updates.

All times below are in Eastern time.

  • Global cases: At least 91,300, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
  • Global deaths: At least 3,110, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
  • US cases: At least 108, according to the CDC. 
  • US deaths: At least 9, according to the CDC and state health officials.

President Donald Trump has donated his fourth quarter 2019 salary to the Department of Health and Human Services, where it will be used to “support the efforts being undertaken to confront, contain, and combat Coronavirus,” White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said. This is not the first time Trump has donated his salary to an agency facing an urgent problem. Since taking office, Trump has directed his $400,000 annual salary to a different agency each quarter. —Wilkie

North Carolina health officials confirmed the state’s first COVID-19 case — a patient from Wake County who traveled to Washington state. Local health officials are working to find out who may have been in contact with the patient, Governor Roy Cooper said during a press briefing, adding the state expects more cases. “Our most important work is keeping people healthy and safe,” he said. —Lovelace

Washington state health officials identified three new coronavirus fatalities, including two patients who passed away on Feb. 26 that weren’t previously linked to COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths in the U.S. to nine. “This is a very fluid, fast-moving situation as we aggressively respond to this outbreak,” Dr. Jeff Duchin, health officer for Seattle & King County public health, said in a statement. “People with suspected or confirmed exposure to COVID-19 should reach out to their healthcare provider. As public health professionals we really appreciate clinicians on the front lines of patient care and they are critical to this response.” —Feuer

Ford Motor is banning all non-essential international and domestic business travel for employees due to the coronavirus outbreak. The automaker said Tuesday the increased travel restrictions will be in effect until March 27. Ford, according to a company spokesman, will revisit the travel bans regarding the COVID-19 epidemic on a weekly basis. —Wayland

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/coronavirus-latest-updates-outbreak.html

You may like

In the news
Load More